Uncertain Destiny
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harsh Lessons

2 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Harsh Lessons  - Page 3 Empty Re: Harsh Lessons

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:57 am

She looks lost. "Start the what?"
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Beovyn chuckled as he rinsed off, and went to dry by the fire.
"Stew would be the closest English word. The skause was central to the everyday eating in my time. Every home had one boiling away to feed the family, and any traveler that needed hospitality. It is very simple. We cut up some meats and vegetables, and toss them into a large kettle filled with water and seasonings, and let it simmer over the cooking fire. each time we eat, we just add more meat, vegetable, and occasionally liquid to keep it going."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:37 pm

She wrinkles her nose. "So you let the soup just sit for days? That sounds like poison in a bowl. Did you have a lot of dysentery where you come from?”
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:07 pm

He shook his head.
"I never had any problems, even before I awakened. I think it has something to do with it always being cooking. That and you are taking from it everyday, so after a few servings it is almost new. The flavor gets better the longer it runs as well. It's like bread. You start the mix of flour and water, and let it sit. a week later take from it to make bread, and add to the remainder."

Beovyn shrugged, and then walked across the hall to retrieve a large kettle hanging from a hook along the wall. He brought it to the cooking fire, and hung it on another hook.
"If somehow it makes you feel ill, I will fix it. Just try it before you judge. Have faith that a common practice of my people, a strong and healthy people, is just fine."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 pm

She scoots herself up on her elbows and watches him. "So you're a for-real, no-shit viking? Like how old are you?"

She rolls to a sitting position and brushes herself off. "Are you all decrepit and dusty?"
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Beovyn poured two buckets of water as well as a bucket of beer into the kettle.
"I am thirty and perhaps three or four years old physically, but I come from another time, yes. I was born in a small village in Trøndelag. By your reckoning it was the latter half of the ninth century. Two years ago, while seeking the patronage of the great Fire Drake deep in the Ginnungagap, my quest was interrupted by a small group of seiðmaðr from this time. The realm we were in became unstable, and Fire Drake, in his unknowable wisdom, returned us to the Midgard of today."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:57 pm

"Um wow... Yeah I have no idea what you just said, but I get that you aren't from around here. Do you feel like you wished you could like fight and pillage stuff? Is the way we live super shitty and indulgent?"
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:12 pm

He chuckled softly as he roughly chopped through a pile of carrots, onions, and other freshly harvested root vegetables. He tossed them in the simmering liquid as he spoke.
"Yes to both, though I still do fight and pillage. Much to the aggravation of some. It is my way of, not only getting what I need, but also toughening up this corner of the world that I have found myself in. I try not to focus too much on it, as a constant state of blind rage really spoils the enjoyment of other pursuits. Instead I have built this Oasis." He gestured to the hall around them.
"It helps me deal with it all. I've even started to bring my way of life to others. I trade with some farmers near by, and avoid the scraps of garbage the world uses as currency as much as I can."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:21 pm

"Why are you not fighting then? If it's in you...why push it down?"
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:33 pm

He paused long enough to look at her curiously.
"What is it I should be fighting exactly?"
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:37 pm

She shrugs. "I do not know. But here's a truth I've found out in my shit life. When you hide something that's deep within you, it's gonna need out soon. And will likely be ugly."
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:53 pm

He nodded as he tossed the rest of the veggies into the broth. He reached for two large, mostly free of meat, bones. With ease he broke them in half, and tossed them in as well.
You are right about that. I do let it out though. I fight more than most of the awakened around here. Another thing they complain about I'm sure. While I adapt to some things in this time, it will not rob me of who I am. Even the mystical changes have been nothing more than an inconvenience. An annoying one, certainly, but I have already reached the level of my former power, and grow stronger everyday."

He adjustd the kettle over the flames and covered it to boil.
"The biggest, most frustrating difference, well...beyond the weakness that seems to pour out of this society. The worst of the differences is all the polution. From light to noise, to the filth in the air and water. It is suffocating. Where id my night sky go? My lungful of fresh air in the morning? The crystal clear water to slake my thirst?" He shook his head in disappointment.
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:57 pm

She slowly rises and sighs dramatically as she follows behing him, cleaning up the scraps and waste of the vegetables and puts them in a bowl to be tossed outside.

"It was pissed away by men who thought they could hold onto the land, force it to bend to them. So that pissy assholes like me could complain about indoor plumbing, four dollar coffee, and designer drugs. Even though their hearts drag them to the places they fight so hard to destroy. You should see how many of us fight to get to national parks...it's so fucking hypocritical..."
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 pm

He grumbled something as he pulled his hair back to tie it up. The lack of a left ear marked the third odd or missing body part after the opposite eye and strange left hand. Perhaps it was the scars coupled with his bearing, or perhaps it was just an aura, but he always seemed to look like one of the Æsir straight from from the Poetic Edda.
"Hypocrisy. More a plague, more a blight on this world than any fever or sickness of the body." He shook his head.
"If I was prone to surrender, I would say that the world is doomed."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:40 pm

"You'd better not be. Because I hate pussies...and I'd hate to see how I looked after trying to kick your ass." she laughs taking the bowl of waste outside to dump in the woods.

She'd come back, chilled and teeth chattering. "I need to head to the park office...that cool?"
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:46 pm

He nodded.
"Do you need company on the walk, or do you remember the way?"
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:13 pm

She laughs. "I'm gonna drive...I need to you know...take a piss. I think I can handle that without getting my ass kicked today."
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:17 pm

He shrugged. "There is a more direct path on the trails than heading all they way to the parking lot and driving around. Then again there is the latrine that is mere yards away. But do as you will." He chuckled before strolling towards the forge.
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:21 pm

"There is nothing more envigorating than pissing in the cold onto a pile of someone else's shit that makes a girl feel like a woman. Really Beovyn...I know you take this apprentice bond seriously, but I think we can skip that bonding experience."
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:25 pm

He laughed as he stoked the fires to life.
"You are quite the poet." He shook his head.
"I will look into alternatives that doesn't involve digging up the land for piping."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:40 pm

"Hey give me another jolt like before, and I will sing of kings and queens, of maidens and thieves. Of wretched men defiling the land and the women or whatever the hell else people like you think is poetry."
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:46 pm

He shoved a long piece of metal into the fire.
"You will have another jolt when you have earned it. The more worthy the reward, the longer it will last, I assure you. You are on the right track with the poetry."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:42 pm

She pouts, hands even on hips. "Well then I'll need to go to town. I'll be gone a bit...I need to go talk to some shady dudes and if I want product without money, I'll need to...well... Make some deals." She heads towards the exit.

"Need anything from town? Think you can be alone for a few hours without knocking someone up?"
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 pm

He looked a little surprised.
"You already need more?" He shifted around the metal.

"Go to your precious bathroom, then come back. You can handle that wood you wanted me to save you, and then I will give you another jolt. Later we can talk about you taking what you want instead of paying those dirty urchins. Hell, I'll even help you. I could use a fight."
Beovyn
Beovyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:04 pm

She looked nervous. "It's not that I need more...but it's been a few days since I had any h...and you clearly aren't set up for the stuff. And I have no money to pay my dudes...it's mostly bartering. And Johnny always had a head for that kind of thing...he knew when they'd take fenced goods or when I had to get on my knees." She says plainly, as it was clearly fact.
Tori
Tori

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next