Heave Ho, All Together (Open)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heave Ho, All Together (Open)

Post by Hannah on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:32 pm

It was hard to find woods in the farmlands of Lima, Ohio but the small Cabal had managed to do so. Their home lay down a winding dirt road. Eventually a car could go no further and the last half mile would need to be made on foot. The home itself was rather large for a log cabin in the middle of the woods. There was a very obvious core part to the place. It was old, something that must have been built when the land was just being settled. Off of that were newer additions each of them with their own sort of style suggesting that every person who came before had to build their own living space.

Just beyond the house the trees thinned and there were multiple fields that were tilled and cultivated. At this stage in the summer they were already green with multiple different types of edible vegetables. There was little in the way of decorative plants in this area. Blueberry bushes grew in a patch near to the house and one could identify multiple different types of fruit bearing trees. Walnut, plum, and apples were plentiful in this area. There was even a pumpkin patch though it wasn't quite at the bearing fruit portion of its life.

Inside almost everything looked crafted in some way. There were a few things such as pots and pans that had been picked up at a store but the furniture, carpets, decorations, and even a lot of the tableware was all crafted. Some of it looked well made, some of it functional only. The one major exception being an overstuffed armchair that could easily hold two people.

Once the party had drawn to a close, the two knew possible members had been lead to this homestead or given directions if they wanted to come by later. Those that stayed were given blankets and bedding, though the most obvious place to sleep was on the floor. The bedding was more than comfortable. There was a shower in the back that worked with the concept of gravity. The water stores stayed heated through solar energy so at night it was a bit chilly, still it was offered as well as clean clothes to sleep the night in.

Morning came swiftly and Hannah was up well before first light. By the time the rest of the house stirred she was fully dressed and curled up in the overstuffed chair reading a biology text book. It looked like she'd already put in quite a bit of work judging by the dirt under her nails and on her clothing.
Hannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heave Ho, All Together (Open)

Post by Dylan Gray on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

You didn't see places like this anymore. Even most farms had their share of noisy machinery and profit-making technology to keep up with mega corporations. Out here, however, the land smelled of sweat, fresh earth, hand-wrought works of wood and metal. It smelled...pure. Nearly as pure as the sort of place he was no longer welcome in.

It was already dark by the time the group made it back to the winding road and their home beyond, but Dylan tagged along. He wasn't particularly chatty, though he had a quick word and wry humor at the ready for anyone who engaged him. When they finished their half-mile march to the estate itself, he breathed in deep, sighed and nodded, then let himself be lead to wherever he was meant to spend the night. There were no complaints from the older man about the sleeping accommodations -- he seemed perfectly content to sleep among the stars if that's what was offered.

Come the next morning, the detective washed up. The shower wasn't the best at cleaning the human body, but Dylan stepped out completely free of dirt, grime, or odor -- likely, he used a little magic to help freshen up. After a cursory investigation of his surroundings now that morning light was available, he returned to what was likely the main sitting room, nodding in greeting to the woman already there. "Nice place."
Dylan Gray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brentley on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:36 pm

The hometown hero slept like the dead, like a baby who would never know another day of sorrow. One of the rooms in the structure was a starkly austere room, much like a Shinto temple might appear. The walls, floor and ceiling were all made of the same smooth wood that the rest of the house claimed, except the floor in here was polished with layers and layers of walnut oil until it shone.

Once voices could be heard outside? He'd roll off of that storable futon mattress and fold it in half, making to tuck it into a cabinet that also stored a number of things that might be considered to be "of use" to his magical mindset. Not that he had much of one of those. A bucket came out of that cabinet and a mixture of water and vinegar was poured into it. A cloth dropped into the bucket and then was used to wipe clean the floor in long and smooth strokes. It was calming and meditative, and it was a habit that he'd had for a very long time.

Twenty minutes later, the young man would dry his hands and rub his face before coming out into the main room. He wore drawstring pajama pants and a brown wife-beater. A towel hung over his shoulder.

"Morning, you guys. Anyone get into the smokehouse yet, or should I go bring home that bacon?"

Last edited by Brentley on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brentley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:43 pm

((OOC: is the scene set for the night of last game, or the next morning after that? I'll assume the latter unless the consensus goes the other way))

Josiah had gone ahead to check on the patches and let out the stock. He hollered before he came in. "Han! I think those deer have been at the hemp patch again!" Once at the door of the house, he saw Hannah, Brent, and Dylan in the front room. "Hey, there," said he, to the Orphan and the Akashic. Bacon sounded pretty fine, right about now, but breakfast would have to wait until he'd solved the deer problem. He stood in the doorway without taking off his boots and did not walk in any further. "Han, do we keep the wire in the house?"
Josiah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma Quinn on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:59 pm

She heard the hunter's voice calling out to the other woman who lived in Barrowspring, and the timid Dreamspeaker edged out of her wing of the house. This early in the morning, she wore a massively over-sized gray T-shirt declaring the wearer to be a book-worm, complete with a green and bespectacled wiggly creature sitting on several thick volumes and holding another one open with a rapturous look upon its line-drawn face. The shirt fell nearly to her knees and almost covered the pair of black bicycle shorts she wore beneath it. She was barefoot as she came into the living room, holding a hand-made cloth bag in one hand and clutching a leatherbound folder with work documents with the other.

"I can... I can speak to the Forest King," she offered to Josiah, flashing a shy smile before lowering her eyes. "If you like. I won't do anything big... just talk. There's -- " Something occurred to her in that moment, and a look of mortification crossed her face just before she scrunched it up. "I'll.. I'll move the shrine," she squeaked. "I'm sorry!" The woman darted out of the house, embarrassed, and began to make preparations for relocating her shrine to the King of the Forest a little farther away from the aforementioned hemp patch.
Emma Quinn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm

(Sorry for being unclear! The morning after.)

Hannah looked up from her book as Dylan walked in and commented on their home. In the light of day it was easy to see the hominess of the place. The Verbena smiled warmly at their new housemate. "I'm glad you like it. I hope you slept well enough?" Though she'd been quite aggressive the night before, this morning she seemed much more calm and welcoming. In short order her housemates entered the scene and she looked to all of them answering in the order that the questions have been asked.

First to Brent, "I've gathered eggs and vegetables but no meat." Then to Josiah, "I put it away in the shed the last time we had to use it." Hannah smiled at Emma as the girl ran out and failing the ability to answer her she turned her eyes to Dylan. "Which chore would you prefer? Cooking breakfast or fixing the garden to keep the deer out?"
Hannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan Gray on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm

"Like a log," came the reply. As the day gained traction, the paths of the cabal members began to intersect, and Dylan quietly attempted to fade into the background, observing the behaviors, relationships and mannerisms of his potential new family. Hannah's question about his preference for work brought him back into the fold, and he nodded his head towards Josiah. "I haven't mastered the art of making toast. Think I'll be more helpful outside. I'd like a chance to see the garden anyway."
Dylan Gray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brentley on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Brent stifled a snerk at the profession of guilt regarding the old hemp patch. While Josiah was ready to prevent, Emma was ready to cure. Now there was a good combination. Tucking his hands into the pockets of his pajama pants, he'd nod and start out along the way as well. "I'll go brave the terrible outdoors and bring in some protein that isn't eggs. When this is all done, though? We're gonna have to sit down and start sussin' out chores. Kitchen's mine!" he proclaimed and aimed a finger at the scrubbed detective. That same finger was aimed at the veterinary doctor, to boot, before he would head outside toward the smokehouse.
Brentley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Josiah widened his eyes as Emma ran out. "Well, OK." When she had passed he shook his head and grinned.

To Brent he said, "You got options. There's some bacon and a little summer sausage in the smoke house. And there's still that hog shoulder in the shed fridge, which reminds me. I saw more hog sign down by the bent aspen. Bill Pence and me might get over there next couple of days. Think about coming out."

He turned to face Dylan. "You ever string wire for deer?"
Josiah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 am

"That's good to hear," Hannah smiled in response to Dylan. Brent's finger was given a look but after only a moment she smiled and nodded. "The kitchen likes you better than me anyway. Tomatoes, scallions, and peppers have been washed and are sitting on the sill drying. Feel free to use them in whatever concoction you've decided to come up with. I've also made flour from some of the gathered cattail pollen. Milk is in the icebox." Brent and Josiah would know that all of these things were likely done before others had woken this morning. Milking the cows always worked best before sunrise. Apis and Bat were particularly picky about such things.

Turning to Josiah she stepped forward and placed her arm around his shoulders in a welcoming way. "It looks like Brent has just taken over my morning plans. Why don't I follow you guys and we'll get the job done swiftly." Hannah moved from Dylan to Josiah encouraging the Orphan along as she did. "Besides, I'd bet you breakfast that you won't be able to find the fencing without my assistance." With a playful smile she leaned up and kissed Josiah softly on the lips.
Hannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan Gray on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

The detective made a face as he was asked the question, as though scrunching up his features could help him remember. "Maybe once...over a decade ago? If you show me how it's done, I'll try to be a quick study." As Emma made a hasty exit, the Orphan appeared thoughtful. He wasn't one-hundred percent on who the Forest King might be, but he had some guesses. Strange world this was, with its many connections.

Dylan Gray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

((I'm going to scene exit. Maybe we can pick the scene back up at breakfast?))

"Mmm," said he. When the kiss had finished, he replied, "I don't gamble when breakfast is on the line. Give me a sure thing any day."

Josiah turned and exited, heading for the 'shed,' a low building that seemed to be dug into the side of a hillock.

Josiah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top