The Riddle of Steel (Tori)

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Riddle of Steel (Tori)

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 am

She looked back to her work and plucked the steel from the forge, beginning the work on soldering the steel to form the foundation of the blade.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 am

Silent again he resumed his watch over her work. Not only did he watch the metal, but he also examined her. Her posture, how she swung the hammer, or used whatever tool at hand, no detail, however small, was ignored. The only time he moved to do anything was to grab any tools she needed that weren't within her reach.
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:36 am

There was a grace to her that was evident with each strike. There was power, to be sure, but also a fluidity to her movements that seemed to begin in the center of her, swaying her whole body as she struck hammer to steel.

She held the blade in her left hand, tilting and repositioning it as her right hefted the hammer in a long, smooth stroke. Her eyes did not leave the blade, trusting in her right hand to swing with familiarity and fall where she intended.

There was no hurry, no jitters forcing her to get her next fix. This took up all of her attention, all of her focus. She struck again and again, beating the blank form into shape.

The only time she even looked up was to connect thoughts to Beovyn to alert him to stoke the fire for her return.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 am

Beovyn listened to the song that her hammer rang out. He became intoxicated by her rhythmic dance, almost hypnotized. He was still able to stoke the fire, and to take note of her technique, but he couldn't help but only with a force of will. When the blade took it's last bath in the flames he spoke again.
"Stor brann drage
velsigne dette våpenet
herde stålet i din hellige flamme."
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 am

Now was the test. The first time she seemed anxious. She took the blade from the fire and pivoted just enough to reach the basins holding the liquid. She moves to the oil basin and hesitates, taking in a deep breath and turning instead to the water, plunging the heated metal with a loud, satisfying hiss.

She leaves it in the water a few breaths longer than necessary, possibly to delay the metal touching the air, or maybe, the hesitation was due to fear, either way, she removed the steel and held it to Beovyn without looking at his herself.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 am

The his brough a slight smile to his lips. It was always satifying to him. He took the blade from her, and examined it closely. He set it on the work bench, and started to shine a small section, chewing on the inside of his lip as he concentrated. He examined it again, not saying anything for a long while. Eventually he handed the blade back to her.

"It is sufficient. It will hold an edge, and is strong. You have done well. The steel has not been disrespected, but you still have much to learn."

~You have in you great potential. You have earned the right to continue to use this forge to master the craft.~
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am

She still did not look at the blade itself, scrutinizing Beovyn’s face as he inspected her work. When he spoke, she let out a breath she had been holding. Relief washed over her and she cracked the faintest shadow of a smile.

She would take the steel back and begin to examine it herself before getting back to work. ~Thank you…~ was her only, unspoken response.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 am

He leaned against another table as she returned to work. His eye stayed on her, barely noticing the reheating and grinding that was to come. Some how he managed to keep his thoughts to himself as he took in the sight. After a moment he shook himself back into focus.

"Bone, wood, or antler?"
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:42 pm

~Wood, I haven’t earned bone yet. I haven’t taken the life, I shouldn’t use it in my blade.~ She thinks simply as she grinds the steel.

Now her focus comes in full, leaning over the grindstone. Sweat was building on her brow and her braid had made its way over her shoulder as she leaned into the steel, only to move back, releasing the pressure on the blade. Again and again she swayed into and away from the stone, gliding the steel along in slow, cautious smooth motions.

With her intent on the creation of the blade, she began to hum a slow, soft and melancholy tune. Occasionally she would pull the blade away to inspect it, but there seemed to be nothing existing outside this metal and her tools.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:22 pm

~Well said...or thought as the case may be.~

Beovyn retrieved a block of wood from the stack, and set it on the table. He then grabbed cups, and filled them with cider. He set one by the wood, and sipped from the other while he watched her.

Whenever she stopped to check on her brother, Beovyn examined the blade.
"It is progressing well. You are fairly competent."
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:05 pm

She would nod, trying to get her brother to sit up and drink some water. "Thanks."  she says dismissively. 

Her focus was clearly distracted once her brother showed signs of any movement. The blade was forgotten as she cared for her twin.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:15 pm

He looked over, and sighed softly. He tossed the blade onto the table before heading over to the cooking fire.

"You should eat soon. You have been at this for hours."
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:24 pm

She'd nod and get up, looking bedraggled. She'd get a bowl of stew and begin feeding the broth to John, looking up for a moment to Beovyn.

"That went quick."
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Beovyn watched as she retrieved the stew.
~Some of that should be for you.~

He nodded at her words.
"Time has no meaning when you become one with the steel. While you have room to improve, watching you do your work is..."

~Mesmerizing.~
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:52 pm

She would look up at him, confused as she spooned some broth to John’s lips as a soft grumble came from him.

~Why? Did I do it wrong?”~ the growing familiarity with her self-consciousness was something she did not cherish. But she knew he was the one to tell her what she was doing poorly.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:00 pm

He shook his head as he served himself some stew.
~No, not at all. There are just somethings that could improve the work even more. That wasn't what I was getting at, however. It doesn't matter though.~

He sat in his chair, and took a bite.
"When this project is over I will make the same knife, and have you watch me."
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:27 pm

She nods, turning her attention to her brother, trying to encourage him to eat solids. “Come on Johnny-boy…I need you to eat…” She says, with concern washing any happiness from the thrill of creating from her.

~If you will show me, that would be good…when I get some time to finish.~ She says in a way that might imply she had little idea if she’d ever finish it.
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:34 pm

He leaned back in his chair.
~I will show you after you finish. Then you can give it to Arkadi, and be free to work towards something of even better quality. With enough success I will even show you how I make my steel.~
There was a sense of great importance placed on his thought of the steel.
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:00 pm

She will nod. “I got a job.” She says quietly, whether to the Viking or the vegetable, he wasn’t sure.

~Thank you for letting me do this…it helped.~
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 pm

He looked at her for a long moment before taking another bite of stew.
~I said would, so I did.~

He drained his cider.
~I am...glad... that it helped.~
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:15 pm

She'd look up at him with a raised eyebrow. "What?" she says aloud.

~Is something wrong?~
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 pm

He raised a brow.
~No.~

He stood and walked over to the wash basin.
"I will make the tub as soon I as I can find materials. I figured you should know. The beds will be easy enough to put together, but the new rooms will take some time. Winter slows things down."
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:26 pm

"I got a job..." she repeats to him, since he was either not hearing her or ignoring her.

"That means I'll be gone.."
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beovyn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:32 pm

He sighed, but said nothing for a long moment.
"Gone for work, or gone as in not staying here?" he finally said while looking at the wall in front of him.
Beovyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tori on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 pm

She shrugs. "Depends on the job I guess. Doing security again. I need the money."
Tori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top